legal resources necessary to hold negligent facilities accountable.
Columbia Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect Attorneys
Many nursing home residents become victims of abuse and neglect due to their physical infirmity, medical condition, or dementia. As vulnerable members of society, elderly seniors are often easy prey for the most unscrupulous owners, staff and employees at nursing homes nationwide. The Columbia nursing home abuse & neglect attorneys at Nursing Home Law Center LLC have recognized how greed can play a significant role in cases involving mistreatment of residents who suffer serious harm and injury at the hands of those paid to provide them care.
Medicare regularly collects information on every nursing facility in Missouri, based on data gathered through inspections, surveys and investigations. According to the federal agency, surveyors identified serious violations and deficiencies at eleven (31%) of the thirty-six Columbia area nursing facilities that caused residents preventable injuries. If your loved one was mistreated, abused, harmed or died unexpectedly from neglect while residing in a nursing home, let our team of dedicated lawyers protect your rights for compensation. Contact the Columbia nursing home abuse & neglect lawyers at Nursing Home Law Center (800-926-7565) today to schedule a free case consultation to discuss filing a claim or lawsuit to recover your damages.
Every nursing home receiving funds from state and federal government agencies through Medicare and Medicaid are subject to unannounced visits by investigators. These agencies work hard to ensure that the nursing home complies with lawful regulations. However, the unannounced nursing home visits are too far and few between to make real change in preventing many of the cases involving mistreatment and neglect of the elderly, infirmed, and disabled.
Mistreatment cases are on the rise in Boone County and the neighboring communities of Jefferson City, Mexico, and Moberly. Out of the more than 175,000 residents living within the boundaries of the county, approximately 18,000 of them are 65 years and older. The aging population has risen substantially in recent years, even though the number of nursing homes has remained almost level. As the demand for nursing home beds has increased, many facilities are struggling to hire competent, qualified staff members and nursing professionals to provide the highest level of care. As a result, many residents have been victimized by mistreatment and abuse.
Columbia Nursing Home Resident Health Concerns
Our Columbia elder abuse attorneys have years of experience in handling personal injury cases, wrongful death lawsuits, and nursing home abuse claims for compensation. Our lawyers have proven skills in showing how the unlawful conduct of others caused our clients' injuries. We take steps to fight aggressively to ensure our clients receive full compensation for their injury or death of their loved one.
Also, we continuously review, evaluate and assess publicly available information outlining hazardous conditions, safety violations, filed complaints, and opened investigations against nursing homes throughout Missouri. Family members with a loved one in a nursing facility will often review this information posted below to determine the level of care the home provides. Others use the information to make the best-informed decision before placing an elderly, infirmed, or disabled parent, grandparent or spouse in a nursing facility in the Columbia area.
Comparing Columbia Area Nursing Facilities
The compiled list below by our Boone County nursing attorneys details Columbia area nursing facilities that currently maintain below-average ratings compared to other homes nationwide. Also, we have posted our primary concerns as a part of the details of every nursing facility showing specific cases where the resident was harmed by negligence, abuse or mistreatment.
Overall Rating of 36 Nursing Homes
- Rating: 5 out of 5 (5) Much above average
- Rating: 4 out of 5 (13) Above average
- Rating: 3 out of 5 (7) Average
- Rating: 2 out of 5 (8) Below average
- Rating: 1 out of 5 (3) Much below average
1 out of 5 Stars Overall Rating Columbia Area Facilities
- Pin Oaks Living Center / 1525 West Monroe Mexico, MO 65265 / (573) 581-7261 | For-Profit | 1 out of 5 stars | Website
- Jefferson City Nursing and Rehabilitation Center / 1221 Southgate Lane Jefferson City, MO 65110 / (573) 635-3131 | For-Profit | 1 out of 5 stars | Website
- Moberly Nursing and Rehabilitation Center / 700 East Urbandale Drive Moberly, MO 65270 / (660) 263-9060 | For-Profit | 1 out of 5 stars | Website
2 out of 5 Stars Overall Rating Columbia Area Facilities
- The Villa At Blue Ridge / 701 Blue Ridge Road Columbia, MO 65201 / (573) 474-6111 | For-Profit | 2 out of 5 stars | Website
- Columbia Post-Acute / 3535 Berrywood Drive Columbia, MO 65201 / (573) 397-7144 | For-Profit | 2 out of 5 stars | Website
- Fulton Nursing and Rehab / 1510 Bluff Street Fulton, MO 65251 / (573) 642-0202 | For-Profit | 2 out of 5 stars | Website
- Lakeview Health Care and Rehabilitation Center / 1450 Ashley Road Boonville, MO 65233 / (660) 882-7007 | For-Profit | 2 out of 5 stars
- River City Living Community / 3038 West Truman Blvd Jefferson City, MO 65109 / (573) 893-3404 | For-Profit | 2 out of 5 stars | Website
- Ashland Healthcare / 300 South Henry Clay Blvd Ashland, MO 65010 / (573) 657-2877 | For-Profit | 2 out of 5 stars | Website
- Riverview Nursing Center / 10303 State Road C Mokane, MO 65059 / (573) 676-3136 | For-Profit | 2 out of 5 stars | Website
- North Village Park / 2041 Silva Lane Moberly, MO 65270 / (660) 269-7300 | For-Profit | 2 out of 5 stars | Website
3 out of 5 Stars Overall Rating Columbia Area Facilities
- Ashley Manor Care Center / 1630 Radio Hill Road Boonville, MO 65233 / (660) 882-6584 | For-Profit | 3 out of 5 stars | Website
- The Bluffs / 3105 Bluff Creek Drive Columbia, MO 65201 / (573) 442-6060 | Non-Profit | 3 out of 5 stars | Website
- Fayette Caring Center / 501 South Park Fayette, MO 65248 / (660) 248-3371 | For-Profit | 3 out of 5 stars | Website
- Valley View Health and Rehabilitation Center / 1600 East Rollins St Moberly, MO 65270 / (660) 263-6887 | For-Profit | 3 out of 5 stars | Website
- Jefferson City Manor Care Center / 1720 Vieth Dr. Jefferson City, MO 65109 / (573) 635-6193 | For-Profit | 3 out of 5 stars | Website
- Adams Street - A Stonebridge Community / 1024 Adams Street Jefferson City, MO 65101 / (573) 635-1320 | For-Profit | 3 out of 5 stars | Website
- Villa Marie - A Stonebridge Community / 1030 Edmonds Street Jefferson City, MO 65109 / (573) 635-3381 | For-Profit | 3 out of 5 stars
4 out of 5 Stars Overall Rating Columbia Area Facilities
- Oak Tree Villas - A Stonebridge Community / 3108 West Truman Boulevard Jefferson City, MO 65109 / (573) 893-3063 | For-Profit | 4 out of 5 stars | Website
- Moniteau Care Center / 200 South Gerhart California, MO 65018 / (573) 796-3822 | For-Profit | 4 out of 5 stars | Website
- Columbia Manor Care Center / 2012 Nifong Boulevard Columbia, MO 65201 / (573) 449-1246 | For-Profit | 4 out of 5 stars | Website
- Lenoir Health Care Center / 3850 Cartwright Lane Columbia, MO 65201 / (573) 876-5800 | Non-Profit | 4 out of 5 stars | Website
- South Hampton Place / 4700 Brandon Woods Columbia, MO 65203 / (573) 874-3674 | For-Profit | 4 out of 5 stars | Website
- Heritage Hall Nursing Center / 750 E Highway 22 Centralia, MO 65240 / (573) 682-5551 | For-Profit | 4 out of 5 stars | Website
- Fulton Presbyterian Manor / 811 Center Street Fulton, MO 65251 / (573) 642-6646 | Non-Profit | 4 out of 5 stars | Website
- Parkside Manor / 1201 Hunt Avenue Columbia, MO 65202 / (573) 449-1448 | For-Profit | 4 out of 5 stars | Website
- Neighborhoods Rehab and Skilled Nursing by Tigerplace / 3003 Falling Leaf Court Columbia, MO 65201 / (573) 256-4620 | For-Profit | 4 out of 5 stars | Website
- Katy Manor / 205 Prospect Pilot Grove, MO 65276 / (660) 834-3111 | County Government-Owned | 4 out of 5 stars | Website
- Tipton Oak Manor / 601 West Morgan Street Tipton, MO 65081 / (660) 433-5574 | For-Profit | 4 out of 5 stars | Website
- Glasgow Gardens / 100 Audsley Drive Glasgow, MO 65254 / (660) 338-2297 | For-Profit | 4 out of 5 stars | Website
- Westphalia Hills - A Stonebridge Community / 1899 Highway 63 Westphalia, MO 65085 / (573) 455-2280 | For-Profit | 4 out of 5 stars | Website
5 out of 5 Stars Overall Rating Columbia Area Facilities
- Fulton Manor Care Center / 520 Manor Drive Fulton, MO 65251 / (573) 642-6834 | For-Profit | 5 out of 5 stars | Website
- Riverdell Care Center / 1121 11th Street Boonville, MO 65233 / (660) 882-7600 | For-Profit | 5 out of 5 stars | Website
- Heisinger Lutheran Home / 1002 West Main Street Jefferson City, MO 65109 / (573) 636-6288 | Non-Profit | 5 out of 5 stars | Website
- California Care Center / 1106 South Oak California, MO 65018 / (573) 796-3127 | For-Profit | 5 out of 5 stars | Website
- St Joseph's Bluffs / 1306 West Main Street Jefferson City, MO 65109 / (573) 635-0166 | Non-Profit | 5 out of 5 stars | Website
How the Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Occurs
Because generating profits motivate many nursing facilities, the owners, managers, and administrators will often employ a nursing staff that is poorly trained, unqualified to provide care, or hire individuals before conducting necessary background checks. Without proper vetting, nurses and other employees with histories of aggressive behavior, abuse and neglect can work for days, weeks or years at the facility, placing the health and well-being of every resident in immediate jeopardy.
The Missouri nursing home abuse attorneys at Nursing Home Law Center LLC have provided legal services to victims who have reported various kinds of abuse and neglect. Most of our cases involve:
- Pressure Sores and Infections – Bedsores (pressure sores; pressure ulcers; decubitus ulcers) occur when elderly residents cannot turn or reposition their bodies periodically to relieve pressure and allow blood flow and oxygen to reach the skin and underlying tissue. Every bedsore acquired in a nursing facility is preventable. Without proper treatment, a small, unassuming pressure sore can quickly develop into a life-threatening infection of the bone (osteomyelitis) or blood (sepsis).
- Malnutrition and Dehydration – When the nursing home resident is debilitated or bedridden, they lack access to food and water without assistance. Often, the most vulnerable residents are not adequately nourished or hydrated because of a lack of quality care by caregivers who failed to assist the resident in drinking and eating throughout every day.
- Slipping and Falling – Every tripping or falling accident occurring in a nursing facility is preventable with adequate supervision and the development and enforcement of an effective Plan of Care. Most slip and fall accidents occur when staff members are not available to assist the resident in toileting or fail to answer a call light promptly.
- Unnecessary Restraints – Many nursing home staff members will use unnecessary and unauthorized restraints, including a physical restraint involving a belt or drugs, by overmedicating the resident with sedatives.
- Physical, Mental, and Sexual Abuse – Uncaring, malicious, lazy, or cruel staff members will use physical or mental abuse to subdue the resident into submission or to allow the staff to avoid doing their job. Other residents become the victim of sexual abuse when assaulted by a nursing home employee or another resident at the facility.
- Lack of Proper Medical Care – Any deviation from acceptable standards of medical and nursing care is considered abuse, mistreatment, or neglect. This form of abuse might involve denying the resident medications, medical tests, or examinations, or failing to accurately diagnose and treat the resident when a change in their condition occurs.
Speak with a Columbia Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
Only a reputable personal injury attorney with years of experience in handling nursing home abuse cases should handle a claim for compensation. Using Missouri tort law requires knowledge and a comprehensive understanding of the rules of procedure and filing a lawsuit for compensation.
The Columbia nursing home abuse attorneys at Nursing Home Law Center LLC have helped many victims of nursing home neglect pursue a claim for compensation. Our team of Missouri elder abuse lawyers fights to protect the rights of the loved one to ensure they receive the level of monetary recovery they deserve. Contact our law offices today at (800) 926-7565 to schedule a free, no-obligation full case evaluation to discuss the merits of the claim. We accept all nursing home abuse cases, wrongful death lawsuits, and personal injury claims through contingency fee arrangements, so no upfront fees or retainers are required.
For additional information on Missouri laws and information on nursing homes, look here.