We all get older. When this happens, we reach a point where our vision is not what it was in the past. Also, our reflexes start to slow, and we are not able to react as fast as when we were younger. And in many cases our memory starts to fade, and we forget what we are doing. In addition, when we age we start having other medical events which can present problems as we get older. All of these factors can be reasons why elderly people may not be able to drive or should not be able to drive.
The decision to stop driving is one of the most difficult decisions that the elderly and their children face. Not being able to safely drive can be difficult for senior drivers. For decades they have had the independence that they needed to drive when and where they wanted. Now they are facing a decision where they may not be able to drive. This is especially difficult for children of elderly parents who may need to have the discussion about whether they can continue to drive, or to take the keys from them.
Careful consideration must be made before the decision can be made. To help parents and children make the proper decision, they need to research the subject to make an informed decision. To assist in the decision, we have assembled a number of helpful pages. We hope that this can help you or someone you know.
- Can In-Vehicle Technologies Improve Senior Driving Safety?
- Tips To Make Elderly Driving Safer
- Driving Self-Assessment Resources for Elderly Motorists
- Research and Information on Elder Driver Safety, Evaluation, and Related Topics
- Driver’s Resources from the Emory Center for Health in Aging
- Introduction to the Legalities of Imposing Age Limits on Elders’ Driving Privileges
- AARP Driver’s Safety Programs
- Workshop Materials for Senior Driver Safety Program
- Alternative Transportation for Seniors
- Driving Simulator Used to Train and Help Older Adults
- Tips for Driving Safety and Self-Evaluation
- The Science of Knowing When Elder Drivers Need to Let Go of the Wheel
- Safe Driving Self-Assessment Resources
- Older Drivers and Aging Overview
- Aging Safe Driver Resources
- Elderly Driving Safety
- Driving Assessment Resources for Older Drivers
- Clearinghouse for Older Road User Safety
- Older Drivers
- Senior Driving Information
- Senior Drivers Safety Guide for Elderly Drivers
- Elderly Driving Resource Center
- Driver Safety for Seniors
- Safety for Older and Medically At Risk Drivers