If you’ve never heard of EveryBlock.com, you may want to check it out to find out what is going on in your city. EveryBlock is a useful compilation of public records in: Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle and Washington, D.C. You can search by zip code or address to find out news and topical information that is happening in your area.
A client who’s mother was assaulted by a nursing home worker forwarded me this site as a reminder of just how much crime occurs in nursing homes and retirement communities. Most of this information never makes the news headlines, but to those who have loved ones in a nursing home this information will surely cause you to pause and think about their safety.
A review of EveryBlock revealed the following crimes occurring in Chicago Nursing Homes in January alone:
- 7 death inquiries
- 9 accidental injuries in nursing home
- 24 reports of assault / battery occurring within a nursing home
- 14 reports of a missing person from a nursing home
- 1 report of a convicted sex offender living in a nursing home that failed to register
- 6 reports of theft in nursing homes
- 1 kidnapping from a nursing home
- 3 reports of criminal sexual abuse
- 2 reports of financial exploitation of the elderly
Am I the only one who finds the number of violent crimes occurring in an environment where we place our most fragile downright appalling?
For laws related to Illinois nursing homes, look here.
For laws related to New York nursing homes, look here.