Published on:

Cigarette Lighter Mishap Results In Severe Burns To Nursing Home Patient

Picture-3311 Mr. Ellis’s photo appears on

Officials are investigating the circumstances surrounding the severe burns sustained by a 77-year-old nursing home patient in New Orleans.  The man sustained burns to 80% of his body when his bed caught fire following the Super Bowel.  The man identified as Hubert Ellis, was a non-smoker, yet fire investigators found two cigarette lighters in his bed that they believe started the fire.

It is unclear if the smoke detector in Mr. Ellis’s room was operating properly at the time of the incident. Similarly, the nursing home’s response to the incident is under investigation as well.

In either respect, why did this nursing home patient have cigarette lighters in his bed?  Many nursing homes have strict smoking policies that require lighters to be kept under the guard of nursing home staff– to avoid incident’s such as this.


Smoking-Related Fires Are A Real Threat To Nursing Home Patients. Is It Time To Put Out The Fire?

Nursing Home Patient Sustains Serious Burns After Smoking In His Bed

Maximum Fine Levied Against Nursing Home For Failing To Supervise Resident While Smoking

Unsupervised Nursing Home Resident Dies From Burns

Client Reviews

He did a tremendous job on our case and I can see why he's earned the praise he has from clients and peers.