- Patient Rights
- Nursing Home FAQs
- Are nursing homes required to have specific numbers of staff?
- Can physical or chemical restraints be used on a patient?
- What are the ‘stages’ of bed sores?
- How do I get a copy of the medical records?
- What is a nursing home ombudsman and how can they help me?
- What is the surviving spouse entitled to from a nursing home wrongful death lawsuit?
- See More
- Reporting Poor Care
- Signs of Abuse
Along with suffering from a variety of debilitating ailments, the residents of Belhaven Nursing Home in Chicago have to contend with a chaotic atmosphere and staff who don’t have their best interests in mind. Eight surveys conducted within the past two years reveal a nursing home that systematically neglects its patients – seemingly without any sense of consequence. Complaints that repeatedly arose include:
- Unsanitary physical conditions, including soiled toilet paper and plastic bags on bathroom floors
- Storage closets so packed with debris that state surveyors had to “clear a path” to see what was inside (in one instance; three boxes of patients’ records)
- Suspicious incidences of bruises
- Malfunctioning ovens
- Serious issues with improper food consistency and temperature
“Some people like burnt toast,” is what the dietary manger said to a surveyor who noticed that the grilled cheese he was serving was charred. Later, the dietary manager claimed that a thick layer of grime on the kitchen handwashing sink was “ground into the porcelain.” The surveyor at the scene was easily able to wipe away some of the dirt.
Not surprisingly, Belhaven received one out of five possible stars in the areas Staffing and Health Inspections from Medicare’s “Nursing Home Compare” Web site. According to the Web site, Registered Nurses (RNs) at Belhaven spent only 16 minutes per day with each patient, versus the state and national averages of 42 minutes. Belhaven racked up a whopping 25 health violations between October 2010 and December 2011 – triple the average number in Illinois.
If you have a loved one who may be suffering from abuse at Belhaven Nursing Home, we would be honored to hear your story. As always, all of our initial consultations are free and confidential.
Please note: A Nursing Homes Abuse Blog investigation revealed that the owners of Belhaven, Michael Blisko and Moishe Gubin, have been linked to several other out-of-compliance nursing homes in the Chicago area. They include:
Ambassador Nursing & Rehab Center – Chicago, IL
Central Nursing & Rehab Center – Chicago, IL
Continental Nursing & Rehab Center – Chicago, IL
Niles Nursing & Rehab Center – Niles, IL
Northlake Nursing & Rehab Center – Merrillville, IN
Parkshore Estates Nursing & Rehab Center – Chicago, IL
Southpoint Nursing & Rehab Center – Chicago, IL
West Suburban Nursing & Rehab Center – Chicago, IL
For laws related to Illinois nursing homes, look here.
Related Nursing Homes Abuse Blog Entries: