- Patient Rights
- Nursing Home FAQs
- Are nursing homes required to have specific numbers of staff?
- Can physical or chemical restraints be used on a patient?
- What are the ‘stages’ of bed sores?
- How do I get a copy of the medical records?
- What is a nursing home ombudsman and how can they help me?
- What is the surviving spouse entitled to from a nursing home wrongful death lawsuit?
- See More
- Reporting Poor Care
- Signs of Abuse
Will County, Illinois Judge Amy-Bertani-Tomczak has set a December 2nd court date for two sisters facing criminal neglect charges relating to the care of their mother. Prosecutors brought the charges against Bernice Brandon and Elizabeth Williams after a medical examiner determined that their neglect contributed to the death of their mother, Hattie Smith.
According to court documents, the pathologist determined Ms. Smith never received adequate medical treatment for health problems such as bed sores. "The defendant failed to take Hattie Smith to the doctor or arrange for medical treatment, and such neglect resulted in the death of Hattie Smith."
Williams remains on the run at this time. A judge has issued a $25,000 warrant for her arrest.
Read more about this case of elder neglect here.